If you would like to refer a student, please click HERE
What does an elementary school counselor do?
- Teaches classroom guidance lessons
- Provides individual and small group counseling
- Consults with parents and teachers
- Assists with crisis intervention
- 504 coordination
What might a student talk about while in the counseling office?
- Feelings about him/herself
- Difficulty in making or getting along with friends
- A family problem
- A school problem
- A fear or worry
- A physical concern
What might a student do in the counselor’s office?
- Talk about things that are important to the student
- Use puppets or sandtray to help express feelings and problems
- Talk about feelings/learn to understand/identify feelings
- Learn coping skills and problem solving skills
- Work on a plan to reach a goal
- Read stories
- Go to a safe place to calm down when feeling upset
- Play games to learn ways to relate to others